Ci20 to lean MIPS Assembly

Home Forums Creator Platforms Ci20 to lean MIPS Assembly

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Andrey Kosteltsev 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

geoffrey
    Participant

Hello all,

First i would like to apologize for my poor level in english (i’m not fluent at all).

I’m going back to school and will attend university on the evening to study IT.
    There will be one cursus : concepts of computing (with the learning of cpu, ram… in relation with MIPS architecture).

We will learn assembly too and i know that we will have to code with the pc spim simulator.

I would like to learn a bit more and my question is : would it be possible for me to use the Creator Ci20 to make that in stead of using the simulator?

with the simulator there is a list view of the registers and so on :

http://ww2.cs.fsu.edu/~jsanders/CDA3100/pcspim.jpg

Is it doable for me with the Ci20 (and would be those informations like registers viewable?)

I would like to be able to learn the same things but also being able to do more like some display on screen and so on.

To do that, does an application exists? Or i should code in a text editor and then compile the file with gcc (with no information at all on the registers?)

PS : sorry again for my poor english, i hope someone could understand me ^^

Andrey Kosteltsev
    Participant

Hi Geoffrey,

On the MIPS Creator CI20 you can work as on ordinary PC. On the NAND flash there is Debian7 with Gnome and GCC for development. Regarding assembler you will face with some tricks http://elinux.org/images/1/1f/New-tricks-mips-linux.pdf.

I not sure that the GCC on Debian was configured –with-mips-plt but it is very important if you want to use userspace EGL drivers for CI20. Also CI20 architecture is mips32r2 but Debian7 was built for MIPS-II.

Best Regards,
    Andrey K.

geoffrey
    Participant

Hello Andrey,

Thank you for your help, i will have a look at the pdf file you linked me.

Have a nice day,

Geoffrey

beardedmipster
    Participant

I’d say that unless you’re interested in:

* how Linux works on MIPS
    * testing your own operating system
    * playing with the Ci20 hardware

I’d stick to a simulator, or an emulator like qemu.

Andrey Kosteltsev
    Participant

I think the real hardware much better then simulator. Only $65 and you can save a lot of time time. In addition, you do not have to eliminate the modeling error.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Forums are currently locked.