How to boot dual OS (Linux and Real-time OS) on minimorph board

Home Forums MIPS Insider Meta Insider How to boot dual OS (Linux and Real-time OS) on minimorph board

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  alastair 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

uling

Hi,
    I want to install a real-time OS on Minimorph board along with Meta-linux.
    According to the reference about META HTP21, the processor has two threads and support different OS running on different threads. But how to do it? Any suggestion or useful link?
    Thanks a lot

alastair

The bootloaders in the Minimorph SDK only support loading Linux on a single thread. While the HTP221 does indeed have two threads, you would need a loader writing specifically to load your RTOS into the other thread.
    I will make inquiries and see if this would be possible.

Which RTOS are you trying to load?

uling

The bootloaders in the Minimorph SDK only support loading Linux on a single thread. While the HTP221 does indeed have two threads, you would need a loader writing specifically to load your RTOS into the other thread.
    I will make inquiries and see if this would be possible.

Which RTOS are you trying to load?

The RTOS is FreeRTOS.
    Thanks a lot

Sean

As Alastair mentioned, the SDK as is only supports debugging on the single Linux thread through the csdebug stub.

We are currently compiling the options available to you and will let you know in due course.

uling

As Alastair mentioned, the SDK as is only supports debugging on the single Linux thread through the csdebug stub.

We are currently compiling the options available to you and will let you know in due course.

I found that the MeOS which is also a RTOS, is available to META processor and might be quite similar as FreeRTOS. However, I cannot find any detailed documentary on it rather than a simple factsheet. Is it available, if yes, how can I get it?
    Moreover, how to boot MeOS on board?

alastair

MeOS, like any other RTOS, would require a loader specific to the Minimorph to load it onto the other thread. We will get back to you with some more information in due course.

Sean

We have a proposed route forward, we will contact you by email as we need to send you some hardware; therefore we will need some details. My colleague will email you shortly.

uling

We have a proposed route forward, we will contact you by email as we need to send you some hardware; therefore we will need some details. My colleague will email you shortly.

My project is to port FreeRTOS to Minimorph. Is it necessary to use boot loader to load a C program to the second thread? Because I think FreeRTOS is only a kernel application written in C, not a real operating system.

Sean

We believe FreeRTOS is a complete OS, not just a kernel application, and therefore will require some assembler and will have to be booted as a separate OS from Linux, and not as an application.

It is theoretically possible to boot FreeRTOS via the same bootloader methods that Linux boots via, such as using u-boot to load the FreeRTOS binary, but you will then have no debugging tools at your disposal (apart from wiggling wires or LEDs and maybe printing debug out of the UART for instance). This is not impossible, but there are easier/more productive ways…

The more productive methods of developing a new OS are:

• Use a JTAG pod and debugger to allow you to debug at a very low level. For this we will have to send you the JTAG pod and a JTAG enabled version of CodeScape
    • Use an emulator with debugger, for instance using QEMU and gdb. We are not yet in a position to provide this solution.

If you have identified a method to run FreeRTOS as a task under Linux, and that is what you intend to port, then we’d be interested to hear some details.

Hi Seanr,

I am trying to port FreeRTOS in Minimorph board, for low-level debugging we need Jtag.
    Could you please suggest supported Jtag for meta architecture.

Sean

As discussed in your other thread, Whilst we do have a JTAG pod available; it is expensive and not really suitable for a hobby development.

I would suggest that you could do your development using QEMU and the GDB debugger.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.