Get Hands-on With A Non-obfuscated Fully-verified MIPS Core for Teaching and Projects!
“Teaching Computer Architecture using MIPSfpga and the Xilinx-Digilent Nexys 4 DDR platform”
MIPSfpga is the RTL source code of the MIPS microAptiv for implementation on an FPGA. It is a member of the same family found in many embedded devices, including the popular PIC32MZ microcontroller from Microchip and Samsung’s new Artik1.
This workshop will show you how to use this core as part of a Computer Architecture course, which will pave the way for your students to use it in their projects, in effect creating their own SoC designs.
With its long heritage and excellent documentation MIPS is the preferred choice of RISC architecture for many teachers around the world. In the past, teachers had to settle for creating partial “MIPS-like” cores or using unofficial copies of dubious heritage to demonstrate key concepts. Not now! MIPSfpga is the real “industrial” RTL, non-obfuscated, and available freely for academic use.
These workshops are part of a global programme of events to enable teachers to harness this wonderful technology. You can be among the first to get hands-on with MIPSfpga! To bring this activity to China, we have teamed-up with E-Elements. They are the trainers for [Xilinx’s University Program] and they supply [Digilent] development boards. Their reputation for training excellence is well known in China and Taiwan. They will run our most ambitious training programme: running TWO One-Day Workshops in SEVEN different Chinese cities (in total 14).
Location and Date
- Nanjing: Southeast University(东南大学) 12th or 13th December 2015
- Wuhan: Huazhong University of Science and Technology(华中科技大学) 26th or 27th December 2015
- Xi’an: Xi’an Jiaotong University(西安交通大学) 26th or 27th March 2016
- Beijing: Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications(北京邮电大学) 9th or 10th April 2016
- Shanghai: Fudan University(复旦大学) 16th or 17th April 2016
- Guangzhou: Sun Yat-sen University(中山大学) 28th or 29th May 2016
- Chongqing: Chongqing University(重庆大学) 18th or 19th June 2016
These workshops are free of charge for members of academia but places are limited and demand will be strong, so please apply for your place quickly. Please do not apply if you are not sure you can attend.
- Free of charge for members of academia.
- These workshops are open to academic faculty members, with a priority for those involved directly in teaching.
- We reserve the right to accept or refuse registrations based on our desire to enable the broadest spectrum of universities and colleges to participate.
- Prior experience of Vivado or Codescape MIPS SDK are useful but not essential.
Please apply online at E-element webpage here.
Find out about the Imagination University Programme
For more information or enquiries, please visit our University Programme Page or IUP Forum.The IUP Team will be on-hand to discuss your interests. To stay in touch, please register for the Imagination University Programme here
You are invited to please circulate this e-mail to academic friends and colleagues…